Wednesday 29 April 2020

Covid-19 Update (and rant)

Hello fellow Covid-19 participants!

How is everyone doing?  So we are now into the 1000th week of Iso and who else has lost all trace of time and meaning?  It is definitely a situation that none of us would ever have imagined happening in our lifetimes and hopefully it will never happen again.  I have said to my kids that this is their "War Story" and that they will be telling their children, Gosh back in 2020 we couldn't even go to school or see our friends for months so don't complain to me! My son who is 14 and works at Domino's said to me; "Why do I have to be an essential worker mum??"  I said "be grateful son, a lot of people would kill to be in your shoes!"

Although this has been a stressful time there are a couple of things that I have enjoyed.  (not many to be honest).  I'm only working 2 days a week so having 5 days off has been nice although I haven't been doing much except exercising and watching a lot of Telly. (I will never be able to un-see Tiger King)
The cleaning obsession died after the first week so the house is back to looking like I'm working full time but that's the least of my cares.
I've spent a lot of time editing photos and learning new things on my drone and I've been able to spend a bit of time with my kids when they are not home schooling.  (let's face it, the home schooling is pretty non existent in my house!)

I've downloaded Tiktok and been impressed with how creative some people are and even convinced my daughter to teach me a dance which she shared on her account which got over 1000 views so I was a bit chuffed about that.  (not about the views, more about her actually wanting to do something with me and put it on her social media!)

The cats and I have bonded like never before and their daily routines have included more outside time which has kept them happy and I'm sure they will be very unhappy with me when I return to work full time (although probably not because they really don't care that much at all).

The financial situation has been a bit of shit show, yes I am getting Job-Keeper but the actual payment and the rules around it have completely fucked me up and it has caused me more stress than the actual Covid-19 pandemic itself. The "grey" area with the payment has left many people stressed and upset and it definitely has made me think very hard about my work situation and the loyalty I have for them.  I'm sure many people who have lost their jobs would think I'm being a whinging cow right about now and I agree 100%, but if I can't be a whinging cow during this Pandemic what is the actual point? We all have our own set of problems and we need to be able to have empathy for everyone and their different situations.

The one thing that I has kept me sane during this time is my photography and the people who I know and have met through it.  The fact that I have still been able to take photos by myself or with one person, flown my drone, gone for a swim in the ocean, chatted to mates online and made each other laugh has been the saviour.  Imagine not having social media and the memes that have made us laugh and try to look at the positive side to all of this.  I'm not sure we would have been managing as well as we all are.

Finally, I think as a nation we have done very well in keeping ourselves at home.  We are outdoor people, we thrive off our environment and we love all things to do with being outdoors and being active but we have generally obeyed the rules and stayed home and we should be super proud of ourselves and give ourselves a pat on the back.  Of course there are some idiots who were never going to obey the rules (yes I'm looking at those stupid NRL players) and do their part but thankfully we listened and we are seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. So I'm proud of you all and I cannot wait for the day when we can all come out of hibernation and hug the shit out of each other again!!

Stay safe people and wash your hands!
Katie xx


No comments:

Post a Comment